Classic Chili - For Slow Cooker
Servings 6 servings
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 T chili powder 2 T ground cumin
- 2 T sugar
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 T garlic powder 1 112 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne optional
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 16 oz can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- This recipe is for use in your slow cooker. I like the versatility of the Instant Pot and Pampered Chef Quick Cooker. Set the pot to Sear or Sauté.
- Add olive oil and heat for two minutes. Add onion. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add ground beef to the pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the cooker off. Add the chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir until well combined.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with their juices), drained beans and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Set your cooker to Slow Cook for 8 hours.
- Let the chili rest for 5 minutes before serving. If you want a thicker chili, make a slurry of flour and water to add.